Saturday, February 20, 2010

Wanting to surf but can't so...pictures of surfboards!





I've been sick now for close to three weeks with both the H1N1 Flu and Bronchitis so I've been out of the water and stuck in the house for a while now! The waves have been great as of late to make it even harder on me. I am starting to feel better but not quite good enough to surf yet but it's definitely on my mind so I figured I'd take some time to show off my quiver and talk a little bit about surfboards. I have pics of just about all the boards I've bought since I really got back into surfing after college.
Before my trip last summer these were the boards I had. The WRV Flexlite(6'1''x 18-3/8"x 2") on the left was a new purchase for the trip. I rode this board about 75% of my time in Indonesia. The middle board is a (6'0''x18 1/4"x2 1/4'') Natural Art basic thruster and on the right is a (5'10"x18 1/4x 2 1/4") Sharp Eye with a wider nose and tail for smaller surf. The NA and Sharpeye were bought before a trip to Costa Rica and used there on a subsequent trip as well.


These are boards I currently have here at my apartment in Ventura. Having the Channel Islands Factory 15 minutes away makes finding the right boards pretty easy! From left to right are:

1. 5'11"x 18 1/4"x 2 3/16" Channel Islands Tangent. I picked this board up in Carlsbad before heading to Indo. My Natural Art above was sacrificed to get it. I rode this board the whole time in El Salvador. It's pretty much my go to board for good, solid surf. 

2. 5'9"x18 5/8"x 2 1/4 CI Flyer Quad. I ride this board the most out of all of em'. Quads work so well when you need to maintain down the line speed which works well at point breaks like Rincon and C-Street, especially when it's under chest high and a bit mushy.

3. 6'0'x 18 1/4"x 2 1/8" CI Fort Knox. This board is for the bigger days at places like Rincon and C-Street when a bit more length and a round pin help smooth out and increase hold when the swell is up.

4. 6'2' x 18 1/4" x 2 1/4" CI Step-up. This is my big boy board! I've only ridden it twice this winter but both times have been in double overhead surf at the Ventura Overhead. For bigger surf I like to keep my width and thickness the same but go longer with a more "pinny" tail for good hold. 

5. 6'3"x 18 1/2" x 2 1/4" Surfride Staple. This was was purchased in Carlsbad as well before going to Indo. I was looking for a step-up board but this was the best I could find on short notice. This is more of a regular shortboard for a bigger guy than me. I'll probably trade it in next time I get a new board.

6. 5'7"x19 3/8"x 2 1/4" Lost Round Nose Fish. My brother bought this and didn't really like it so I took it off his hands. This is my go-to beach-break board when it's under chest high. It catches waves easy and it's tons of fun.


These are my boards that are in Pawleys Island. It's nice having boards at home so I don't have to bring em back and forth all the time! From top to bottom are:

1. 4'9" x 22"ish x 1". Hyperlite Wake Surf Board. This thing is just a blast! When there's no surf just go in the boat and make your own!

2. 5'11" x 18 1/4' x 2 3/16" Lost WCT Model. When I was home over Christmas this winter I found myself planning a trip to Puerto Rico. With my boards back in Cali I bought this hoping it would perform like my CI Tangent; it's pretty darn close. Unfortunately this one wasn't glassed too well and looks like a golf ball after only a week. I traded in the Sharpeye on this one.

3. That's the same WRV from above. While I did ride it a lot in Indo I came to decide it was a bit thin and light for bigger surf. I also don't really like how much flex it has since it doesn't have a stringer.

4. 6'1 x 18 1/4x 2 1/4" 6Star Step-up. This one was also purchased for Puerto Rico. I only rode it one day but it goes really well. This will def be with me on my next trip to Indo!

5. 5'4 x 19 7/8"x 2 3/4" CI Biscuit. Short, stubby, thick and no rocker! The perfect Pawleys Island short board! So much fun! I got lucky finding this one. I wandered in to Wallerbears one day and this was $250 off! I couldn't pass it up!

My Jeep's "board holder".


3 comments:

  1. I want that surfride staple, I need a short board, I think megan and I are going to come out there this summer and I can ride it then. you really have a serious quiver now, maybe when you get here we wont have much work going on and I can "help" you explore mexico or maybe back to El Sal. HOLLAH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah dude the Staple would be a great board for you in good surf! I'll hold on to it for ya! A trip down to Baja this summer would be a great chance to give it a ride! We'll have to look into that or El Salvador, both would be fun! Thanks for the comment bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.

    Mini Malibu Surfboard & Wood Surfboard

    ReplyDelete